Friday, April 3, 2009

Horizon Towers Sale Won't Go Ahead

Source : The Business Times, April 2, 2009

After a protracted battle that lasted more than two years, the minority owners of Horizon Towers have finally gotten their wish - the $500 million collective sale of the property to Hotel Properties Limited (HPL) and its partners has been called off.

Singapore's Court of Appeal on Thursday dismissed the en bloc sale after four owners appealed to it to throw out a High Court decision handed down last July that backed the property's sale of the property to HPL and partners Morgan Stanley Real Estate and Qatar Investment Authority.

The Court of Appeal's decision is the final decision on the matter, which means that the acquisition of the property will not proceed.

HDB Resale Flat Prices Start To Ease

Source : The Straits Times, April 02 2009

First-quarter dip is first since 2006 and points to end of record run

PRICES of HDB resale flats fell in the first quarter of this year - the first decline since 2006 and a sign that the two-year run of record-breaking gains has ended.

Larger units bore the brunt of the price drop in HDB flats, and property agencies expect a decline of between 2 per cent and 10 per cent in the resale market for the full year. -- ST FILE PHOTO.

Flash estimates yesterday showed that prices dropped by 0.6 per cent for the first three months, compared with the fourth quarter of last year.

Prices in the fourth quarter had increased by 1.4 per cent over the previous period and helped drive resale flat prices up by a hefty 31.2 per cent over the past two years.

The latest numbers caught industry experts by surprise and underline how the worsening recession has hit the Housing Board (HDB) market sooner than expected.

Many analysts had predicted further increases in resale prices with a decline becoming apparent only later in the year.

Agency chiefs from both PropNex and ERA Asia Pacific had recently forecast that HDB resale prices could rise by a further 3 per cent to 5 per cent this year.















But yesterday's numbers have altered expectations overnight, with analysts now predicting a decline of anything from 2 per cent to 10 per cent this year.

Tell-tale signs in the market signalled that prices have started heading southwards, in tandem with private property prices, which plunged 13.8 per cent for the first quarter of this year, said Prop- Nex chief executive Mohamed Ismail.

'The gloomy outlook for the past few months, coupled with more retrenchments, have hit home, and even the HDB market is feeling it,' said Mr Ismail.

PropNex and ERA have reported buyer resistance to flats above $500,000, with five-room and executive flats feeling the brunt of the price slide.

Such flats are now being sold at below valuation, in some cases up to $40,000 under, said ERA associate director Eugene Lim.

However, there is still strong demand for three- and four-room flats as buyers and permanent residents go for the safer option, he said.

ERA transactions showed that four-room units made up 41 per cent of its sales in the first quarter, compared with 38 per cent in the fourth quarter last year.

Despite the slight dip in prices, HDB flats are generally 'still holding' due to relatively strong demand, say experts.

Valuations of bigger flats are also likely to be lower in the face of decreasing transaction prices.

'This will have the multiplier effect of bringing down prices for these flat types,' said Mr Lim.

HDB's latest numbers did not surprise Knight Frank's director of research and consultancy, Mr Nicholas Mak, who had predicted bearish numbers from last year.

'HDB prices cannot go against the broad economic trend, when almost all asset prices are depreciating,' he said.

Chesterton Suntec International's head of research, Mr Colin Tan, said it is logical that HDB resale prices have 'turned a corner', partly because the supply of attractively priced new flats has increased.

As demand for HDB resale flats has relatively eased, so have their prices, and they will fall gradually from here, although not drastically, he added.

ERA and Knight Frank are estimating a decline of 5 per cent to 10 per cent over the year, while PropNex has put it at 2 per cent.

Demand for resale flats will continue to come from permanent residents, people downgrading from private properties to HDB flats and those downgrading from larger to smaller homes, said ERA's Mr Lim.

He expects total resale transactions for this year to be around 30,000 units, compared with last year's 28,419 units, with three- and four-room units making up the bulk of sales.

Demand for smaller flat types looks set to remain high amid the recession.

HDB's quarterly sale of 150 two- and three-room flats spread across Punggol, Queenstown, Sengkang and Yishun attracted 427 applications yesterday by the close of its first day.

City Fringe Home Values Fall The Most

Source : The Straits Times, April 02 2009

A dollar invested in a suburban flat is holding its value better

THE property downturn has crossed an unexpected frontier, with the index measuring the values of private flats on the city fringe falling below that which tracks those in suburban areas - the first time this has been recorded.

Values for private units closer to the city are typically thought to hold up better than those in the suburbs but their rate of price decline in the first quarter means that this belief may no longer hold true.

Simply put, a dollar invested in a suburban flat is holding its value better than the same ploughed into a city fringe unit, if the investments were made in the last quarter of 1998.

The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) uses the fourth quarter of 1998 as a base for compiling its value indexes for three parts of Singapore.



























The anomaly arose after flash estimates yesterday showed that prices of city fringe flats fell by 17.2 per cent, the biggest fall of any housing sector. City centre flat prices dipped 15.2 per cent, while suburban ones slipped only 7.5 per cent.

Knight Frank's director of research and consultancy, Mr Nicholas Mak, said the first-quarter moves could be a 'statistical blip'. 'It's likely a one-off thing. If it were to continue in the next two quarters, we could have some sort of a price gap compression,' he said.

If mid-end property prices are diving at such a high speed, they would soon be near mass-market levels, he said.

This will not be sustainable as people who live in the suburbs will then upgrade to homes nearer to the city, said Credo Real Estate's managing director, Mr Karamjit Singh.

The URA began offering property indexes based on three geographical zones in 2007. The price movements in the different segments reflect the market better than just an all-in-one index.

34年来最大跌幅 私宅价格首季猛挫13.8%

Source : 《联合早报》Apr 02, 2009

在全球金融海啸和我国经济衰退的连串打击下,楼市终于招架不住,今年第一季的楼价猛跌,创下有史以来跌幅最大的一个季度。

最新的官方数据显示,我国私宅价格在今年第一季就下跌了13.8%,是近34年来最大的跌幅。市区重建局是在1975年第二季开始公布私宅价格变化的数据。

根据市区重建局的初步数据,新加坡私宅价格指数连续第三个季度下滑,私宅价格从去年第三季开始下滑2.4%,去年第四季又跌6.1%,到今年第一季不但无法止跌,还以更快速度滑落,由162.8点跌至140.3点。这意味着楼价已跌破07年第二季的水平。

以跌幅来说,在亚洲金融危机时,本地私宅价格也曾在98年第三季下跌13.2%。

市场人士认为,数个月的房市“严冬”,终于让卖主和发展商开始在现实面前“低头”,开始以大幅削价来刺激房市恢复蓬勃生机。

高力国际研究部主管郑惠匀表示,去年第四季和今年1月份,环球经济迅速下滑、信贷市场和就业市场恶化,新私宅单位的销售市场几乎静止,相信这是让价格过后下跌的原因。

3月份,发展商就以吸引人的价格,推出的新项目、单位或重新推出的项目,就包括水之轩(Caspian)、Double Bay Residences、莉雅苑(Livia)和The Quartz等。

以星狮地产的水之轩来说,这个西部共管公寓以每平方英尺580元“开跑”,价格比隔邻西湖园(The Lakeshore)的二手单位价格,足足便宜了20%。国浩置地也一口气削价8.5%,以每平方英尺平均595元,来重新推出The Quartz的剩余182个单位。

郑惠匀说:“发展商大幅削价的作法取得成效,吸引买家进场。在今年第一季,估计发展商售出的新单位就超过2100个。这是市场在97年第四季受美国次贷危机影响以来,最高的销售量,也比去年第四季出售的新单位,多了四倍以上。”

Orange Tee执行董事陈道俊也认同。他表示,发展商减少盈利空间,以更诱人的价格推出项目,或大幅削价来重新推出项目,以达到“清货”的目的,是导致代表中档领域的其余中央地区(RCR)这一回出现价格最大滑坡的原因。RCR的价格下跌了17.2%。去年第四季的跌幅是6.2%。

市建局昨天的数据也显示,代表高档领域的核心中央地区(CCR)公寓价格,也在今年第一季下跌了15.2%,也比去年第四季的6.5%跌幅明显加快许多,两个地区的跌幅也从单位数上涨到双位数。

2006年以来第一次 组屋转售价指数首季下跌0.6%

Source : 《联合早报》Apr 02, 2009

受经济放缓拖累,连续两年多保持上涨势头的组屋转售价开始下跌,今年第一季组屋转售价指数下降0.6%,是2006年以来首次下滑。

这个跌幅也比2006年第三季滑落的0.2%还要大。房屋经纪相信,接下来的组屋转售价还会继续下滑。

建屋发展局昨天公布的预估数据显示,今年首季组屋转售价指数一反去年第四季的1.4%涨幅,滑落至138.6点,显示组屋转售市场已趋软。

事实上组屋转售价指数的涨幅,自去年第二季就开始逐渐缩小,第四季的1.4%涨幅是之前七个季度以来最低的,因此这次转售价指数下滑0.6%,一般在市场预料之内。

C&H房地产董事经理卢元士说:“私人住宅的售价已经下跌,组屋转售价退低是迟早的事,我原先就估计第一季转售价指数会下滑不超过1%,相信这只是第一波,预料接下来还会继续下跌。”  

ERA助理副总裁林东荣指出,组屋转售价自前年首季以来已上涨了32%,今年第一季稍微滑落0.6%是意料中事,显示了组屋转售价正随着经济恶化和失业率上升而下滑。

ERA指出,随着经济放缓,较大型组屋单位如五房式和公寓式的售价已面对下跌压力,价格超过50万元的单位越来越难脱手,因为银行批准房屋贷款给潜在买家的要求,越来越严谨。

林东荣说:“尽管估价还是很高,但银行已越来越保守,有些买主只争取到70%的贷款,而不是以往的80%,申请到90%贷款的人更是少之又少。”

这也就是为什么有更多转售组屋都以低于估价的价格出售,有些单位更是低于估价三四万元。他说:“大型组屋可享有溢价的日子已经结束。”

林东荣指出,三房和四房式组屋市场则比较乐观,受经济衰退冲击,一些买主较不愿购买价格较高的五房式单位,反而选购四房式。

博纳集团(PropNex)总裁伊斯迈也相信,组屋转售市场的需求还是相当强劲。

他说:“尽管经济不景,还是会有私人住宅和组屋屋主要大屋换小屋,不少永久居民也宁可买屋而不租,而且市面上新组屋的供应还是不够。”

伊斯迈指出:“组屋转售价指数微跌,主要是因为有更多买家不愿意支付较高的溢价。”他估计,接下来两个季度的组屋转售价指数还会下跌2%至3%。

卢元士则预计,今年全年组屋转售价仍会继续下滑,第二季可能下跌1%至2%。ERA相信,整年的组屋转售价会下跌5%至10%。