Saturday, September 22, 2007

Renting A 4-Room Flat For $1,000 'Impossible'

Source : The Straits Times, Sep 22, 2007

I am writing to reply to the letter 'Housing still available at affordable rentals' by Madam Yeo Boon Eng (ST Online Forum, Sept 18). I am a PR married to a Singaporean and our family is currently being frozen out of the rental market. We have been told our current rent is to increase by 100 per cent and all the furniture is to be removed!

I am not on an 'expat package' and my wages have not risen in more than four years, despite reported 8.5 per cent wage rises. I have seen nothing of that at all.

We have scoured the papers on a daily basis. I think the $1,000 rent for a 4-room HDB flat that Madam Yeo mentions is difficult, if not impossible, to imagine, let alone find.

Having seen 3-room flats in poor condition in Jurong advertised at $2,500, I find it totally implausible.

Some thought should be given by the Government to the matter because it affects the entire community, not just expatriates.

Thomas Anthony Veitch

No comments: