Thursday, September 13, 2007

Rules Fine But Give Room For Flexibility

Source : TODAY, Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sickly, aged parents unable to rent HDB flat directly

Letter from FARISHA M SIKANDAR

I BELIEVE that Housing Development Board (HDB) rules and regulations are set for a reason. However, I also think there could be some flexibility in applying them.

A few years ago, when my parents bought a flat directly from the HDB, I had to be the third owner as my parents’ Central Provident Fund account was insufficient to pay for the house.

Last year, before I got married, I was told that HDB rules do not allow a married couple to own a separate HDB flat under their individual names.

My husband also had another flat under his name and we were told we had to sell one of the flats.

Because of this, my parents had to sell their flat. Being old and earning low incomes — my father is 63 and my mother 58 — they thought they could rent a small flat from HDB.

That was not to be. They found out they were not eligible to do this for the next two years or so.

Caught in this situation, we had to rent a flat at $1,070 a month, excluding utility charges.

With the recent hikes in property prices, the landlord decided to raise the monthly rent after the one-year lease ran out.

My parents could not afford the higher rent and gave up the flat early this month.

In July, my parents, my husband and I sought assistance from our Pasir Ris-Punggol Member of Parliament to appeal to HDB for a direct rental flat for my parents.

After a few weeks, we received a mailed response rejecting the appeal.

The reason given was that my parents had previously applied twice for flats directly from the HDB and were, hence, not eligible for the direct rental of a flat at the time.

The letter said the rule was to ensure fairness to other applicants.

This was the same response to my earlier query to the HDB on behalf of my parents before we sought the MP’s assistance.

My parents cannot afford today’s high rents.

Although both are heart patients and in poor health, they have to hop from one relative’s place to another.

My husband and I are struggling financially and are unable to accommodate them.

He is supporting his parents and two younger siblings, who live in his four-room flat.

With the recent talk about supporting the elderly in their retirement, giving them adequate and affordable medical attention and so on, I hope the HDB could be more flexible.

It should judge cases with more compassion and consideration on a case-bycase basis. It will be especially helpful for those who really need it.

No comments: