Friday, September 21, 2007

CPF Debate : I Enjoy When It's Time To Enjoy

Source : The New Paper, September 21, 2007

Why can't we leave it up to individuals to decide how to use their CPF money? In Parliament yesterday, Manpower Minister Ng Eng Hen said it's because it's human nature to spend. Splurge or save? It's an internal battle starring...

I'VE been waiting for this day for a long, long time.

Today is my 62nd birthday. Today is the day I finally get my hands on my CPF.

What will I do? Save it? Crazy.

I've been saving for an entire lifetime already and you want me to save some more?

Tonight, I want to buy my kopitiam kakis (coffee shop buddies) as many rounds of beer as they want, maybe upgrade to pub, and enjoy air-con. I have a little kindness to repay.

I also want to buy some baby clothes. I'm becoming a granddad for the first time soon.

NO FLINGS

No Batam mistress for me, unlike some 'chee ko peks' (dirty old men) I know.

I've promised my wife to take her out for a nice, romantic dinner. Maybe even a short trip.

No rice and gravy for lunch, or working two jobs any more. My kids are now grown up. To quote a cliche, there was a time, I thought we wouldn't make it...

I'm going to retire. Take care of my songbirds. Do some taiji. Enjoy, finally.

Am I silly? Am I being short-sighted?

This is my motto: When it's time to work, work. When it's time to enjoy, enjoy.

As people like to say, 'hua hee tio ho' - as long as you're happy.

Yes, yes - we all have to save for rainy days.

But I've eaten more salt in my lifetime than you have eaten rice. I think I know how to get through a rainy day better than you do.

DYING YOUNG

Plus, if healthy young people running in marathons are dying suddenly, I figure I don't stand much of a chance at longevity.

I can't remember the last time I exercised. So I'll probably die of a heart attack at 70 - just nice, if you ask me.

I want to finish this life on a high note. Not be remembered as a miser.

One MP said in Parliament that 'got money no life' is better than 'got life no money'.

How can? Yes, money is important. But more important than life?

Is this the world my grandchildren will grow up in?

I've always told my children when they were little: Money isn't everything. Family and friends are more important.

That's why I want to leave my CPF money to them when I go, not in some annuity, even though I'm told it makes sense.

That's why I don't worry about outliving my CPF. I know my children will be there for me.

All my life, I've never depended on the Government, never on charity. Always on my own two hands.

Will I go begging for help when I'm old and helpless? Over my dead body.

I don't know why people can't think the same way. All we do nowadays is plan, plan, plan - for others, for emergencies, for a tomorrow we can't see.

Plan so much today, 'langgar' (get in an accident) and die tomorrow - how? Who 'rugi' (loses out)?

People talk about the 5Cs. Everyone talks about something called 'on-block' (en bloc).

I don't even have a credit card after all these years. For me, the only 'C' I was waiting for was the CPF.

It's the day when, after a lifetime of buying 4-D, I know I can sure-sure 'tiok beh pioh' (strike lottery).

That was my Singapore Dream.

The Government means well, I know. But I'm a 62-year-old soon-to-be-granddad.

I figure I know how to take care of myself.

* MPs' concerns over the three days of debate were weaved in to this article.

No comments: