Thursday, August 30, 2007

Agents Who Discourage A Transaction If Told They Won't Get A Commission

Source : The Straits Times, Forum, Aug 30, 2007

I HAVE a two-room flat which I rent out. I used to get agents to find tenants for my flat.

Because I am now retired and am free, I do the advertising, answering calls and taking all the details myself. But I encounter a lot of harassment by agents who want a commission although they do not do anything but just bring in clients who want to view the place. They want commission from both parties.

When I reckon that clients like my place, and the rental is negotiated, the agent approaches me for commission for which he had not done anything. When I tell him I don't intend to give him/her a commission, he/she would persuade the client to 'abandon' this place and go for a 'better' accommodation.

The client, therefore, loses the opportunity to rent this place. It is, in my view, unethical as the client has lost an opportunity. I guess this is a common case, but something must be done about it.

D Sambasivan

No comments: