Friday, October 5, 2007

Savings Account Inactive For Two Years, So Bank 'Freezes' It

Source : The Straits Times, Oct 5, 2007

I RECEIVED a letter from OCBC bank recently. This is a computer-generated letter which informed me that my account had been inactive for some time and that I had to reactivate my account by topping it up at any OCBC Bank branch.

This is akin to freezing my account. I was told by the customer service officer at the service hotline that my account had become inactive as there is no transaction for the past two years.

This is absurd. I thought that I can safely place my money in the bank but, alas, my savings have now been frozen. I can't even withdraw my money from the ATM. I have to personally make a trip to the bank in order to activate the account. Fortunately, I have the foresight of not depositing an enormous sum of money with the bank.

I know that the amount in my savings account is a very insignificant sum. If OCBC bank thinks that it is not worthwhile to have me as a customer, then tell me to close the account. I would be very glad to do so.

Lim Nee Eng (Ms)

No comments: