Friday, October 12, 2007

No End To The Search

Source : TODAY, Friday, October 12, 2007

S’poreans should not adopt a ‘not-in-my-backyard mindset’

Letter from ALICE LEONG

I READ with curiosity the letter from Mr Syed Ahmad, “Funeral parlour in my estate? I’m dead set against it” (Oct 10),who voiced concerns over the proposed building of a funeral parlour in Sin Ming Avenue.

I am especially perplexed by this statement: “To make matters worse, the proposed development is just 200m from a school”. I fail to see the adverse effects a funeral
parlour may have on students and staff of a school.

Surely Mr Syed is not referring to any possibility of pollutants or foul odours being emitted from such a building?

Death is a natural, if terminal (unless one begs to differ based on religious beliefs) part of the life cycle. There is nothing sinister about it. If we can accept HDB void decks being used as “temporary funeral parlours”, what then is the concern?

If Mr Syed fears that the serenity of Sin Ming will be affected by the funeral parlour, he might want to consider that such parlours are typically designed to exude an aura of peace and tranquillity.

In his letter, Mr Syed said that, “Sin Ming Avenue may also become known as the ‘Avenue of the Dead’ ... surely the URA can consider other places to construct a funeral parlour?”

If I recall correctly, Transport Minister Raymond Lim had cautioned against residents taking a “not-in-my-backyard mindset” over this issue.

My sympathies lie with the Urban Redevelopment Authority as they continue to meet one dead end after another, running out of avenues in their search for a suitable site in land-scarce Singapore.

No comments: